Friday, June 12, 2009

Reinstated

I'm back! Whew...that was a close one. After several days of waiting, and even longer trying to get a Twitter tech to answer my messages, I finally got the account reinstated. It happened as suddenly as the suspension. No explanation, no conversation, just 'lights out'...then 'lights back on'. Perhaps the admins just bought themselves "The Clapper", hooked it up to my account, and were testing it out. I'm still not really sure what caused it. It might have been the link to this blog being interpreted as spam. (I could understand my writing being called 'crap', but spam?) It might have been the sudden increase in followers and friends. It might have been a combination of activity from this account that had essentially been dormant for 2 years. Who knows? I'm just glad we're back in the ballgame.

Our balanced approach of friends and followers, along with a healthy dose of relevant tweets, seems to be working quite well. The numbers are going up quite steadily, and I've actually started to notice a bit of a momentum impact. Initially, getting a new follower was the direct result of a tweet that caught someone's eye. Now, there seems to be a true network building, and followers tend to trickle in all day long. This should be fun to watch.

Followers: 584
Following: 511
Updates: 156
Rank: 62,138th

With only 140 characters in a tweet, many people opt to use the limited space to reference a more detailed posting somewhere on the Web. For many of my posts, I've tried to adopt the opposite strategy and post the content directly into the tweet. As you might imagine, this is often quite difficult, and can sometimes seem...shall we say 'compressed'. For example, I gave an entire recount of the movie "Jaws" as follows:

#movie Jaws: Big shark eats people. Beaches close. Killer hired, dies. Sheriff explodes shark. Town saved!

I think I captured it really, don't you? I then stretched into the 'howto' business with a series of self-help content, such as this:

#howto race #NASCAR: Start engine. Stomp on gas pedal. Turn left. (repeat) Pit for gas. Turn left. Blow a tire. Curse.

I think you'll admit, it's a lot easier to read the tweet than to click on some link. And you get to read the 'executive summary' version, so before you're bored with the topic...it's over! No wonder Twitter is considered the ultimate tool for people with ADD.

Until next time...don't forget to follow me on Twitter! twitter.com/campbed

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment