Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Don't Leave Me!

Whoa! I'm sorry! Come back, come back!

Okay, so I tried a little experiment where I let some of my friends go, even though they were following me. The idea was to see if anybody noticed. Perhaps I could get away with befriending people, who would follow me in return, then immediately stabbing them in the back and setting them free. Well, guess what? When you do that, people notice! And they don't take kindly to being rejected.

I dropped 100 friends who were following me, and then sat and watched the carnage. It didn't take long until my follower count started dropping...FAST! It was too late to undo the damage. It was like watching the stock market crash, and knowing there's nothing you can do about it. Eventually, the frenzy died down and I managed to hang on to some trusting (?) loyal (?) ignorant (?) fans. The strategy might work in aggregate, but I'm not sure it's worth taking the chance unless I really needed the room to friend some more people. For now, I'll stick with the mutual love style relationship.

Followers: 5,044
Following: 4,806
Updates: 213
Rank: 6,273rd

It's time for a (little) celebration! I'm half way to the magic 10,000 followers! We're less than 6 weeks into the project, which is pretty good progress. The interesting question is...Will the numbers continue their steady (linear) growth, or is the growth rate a function of the established base, in which case the rate should increase? Or is it a third option where everyone who would ever be silly enough to follow me has already done so, which means we're stuck? Only time will tell.

Stick with me and find out. And please remember to follow me on Twitter. twitter.com/campbed

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment