Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Spam?

The Internet is full of spam. I can only imagine how much more efficient this wonderful communication platform would be if it wasn't always clogged up with useless money-making schemes. Unfortunately, because it's such an efficient and inexpensive communications tool, it's the perfect platform for massive scale marketing. Sending a printed ad in the mail costs money. You had better be sure who your market is, and do everything you can to target that expensive communication to the most likely customer. With the Internet, it costs almost nothing to send your ad to millions of people, so why not? All you need is a tiny percentage of them to listen, and you've made your money back. Twitter is no exception.

I can't tell you how many 'legitimate' followers I have. Probably about the same percentage as most people. Unfortunately, that percentage is really quite low. The VAST majority of followers are all related to money-making activities of some kind. Some are legitimate businesses, and think of me as a real potential customer, whether I agree with them or not. Others are marketing scams, and think of me as the next sucker on their list. Either way, wading through their 'garbage' communications is a depressing waste of time. It's gotten to the point that I basically ignore my direct messages (DMs). These are 99.9% spam, and I just can't bother trying to sift through them. If you have an important private message for me, @reply to me and tell me that you sent me a DM. Otherwise, I may never see it.

Followers: 3,805
Following: 3,834
Updates: 192
Rank: 7,836th

Well, the numbers continue to go up. It still amazes me a bit, but it's great to see. If you notice, the TFF (Twitter Follower/Following) ratio continues to be very close to 1. I'm wondering what would happen if I started dropping people that follow me? It's a bit of a slap in the face ("I'm important, and you should follow me, but don't expect me to follow you in return."), but I wonder if anyone would notice? Perhaps it's time for a bit of an experiment...

Until next time, please remember to follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/campbed

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment